Sunday 7 September 2008

Everything must go!

It's strange the ideas you come up with at 2am when you can't sleep! I decided in the early hours of this morning that to celebrate my birthday this month I would make everything in my Etsy shop half price for the whole month of September. It seemed like a good idea at the time and I guess that if I can sell everything in my shop this month it would encourage me to make more bags (and possibly create other new and exciting things) for next month. Well I guess we will have to wait and see if it works! 

Yesterday I wrote that I was going to be really creative but it didn't quite work out that way! I was trying something a bit different, a spot of painting, but I just couldn't get it right! Strangely I was attempting to paint stones! It's annoying when you create something for the first time and it turns out really well but when you try it again it just doesn't seem to work at all. I got the idea from my friend at uni who gave me a stone on which she'd painted a strange little orange monster (whom we named 'Miguel' bizzarly named I think after her favourite character from the prison drama 'OZ') I thought he was fab and kept him on top of my TV for years until his paint started to peel, so now he lives in a box under my bed. A few years ago I found the most amazing stones whilst walking the beach on New Year's Day, the best one looked like a grey and white ladybird, I remembered my friend's creation and decided to take it home and paint it. It turned out great and he makes a really good paper weight (I have also named him 'Miguel the ladybird' in tribute). I thought yesterday that maybe I could paint some more ladybirds or maybe some bumblebees as I have a few stones lying around that I've picked up over the years (a friend at work was shocked when I suggested this as he told me that it is against the law to take stones from the beach but I'm sure no one would mind me taking two or three stones, it's not like I took a bulldozer and scooped half the beach!).  Anyway the point of my ramblings is that I just could not get the stones I painted to look as good as Miguel! I obviously just wasn't in the painting zone yesterday and it was really frustrating!!!  Oh well, maybe I'll try again another day, it might be quite cool to sell them in my shop as paper weights but I think today I'll go back to sewing!

No comments: